Newborn

Newborn

Run for Our Son's Donation

Register for a Run For Our Sons marathon

Friday, September 9, 2011

Disneyland 1/2 Marathon

On Sunday September 4th I participated in the Disneyland 1/2 marathon. This was an exciting time for me, as I was at a point in my life that I could not sit around like a bump on a log I had to something to help my son.

My Niece and I woke to the alarm at 3:30am, we needed to be down at the start line at 4:15 am. We ate our prime gel, a little energy bar and off we went from Disney's Grand California to Disneyland Drive at the Disneyland Hotel. We came to a fenced off area with tents blocking what I could see was a stage and hear LOUD music and at 4:15am you could only imagine how fast that wakes you up. As i walked thought the gate to my surprise was almost 16,000 people!!! My heart jumped, my blood started pumping, and I could feel excitement from head to toe. Teams were doing warm ups, dancing and trying to keep warm with foil blankets.

Next thing I remember they are having us move to our corrals, you could imagine moving 16,000 people to one street over took a long time. Reminded me of herding cattle across a river. Once we got in our corral, people were all talking about all there previous runs, races, doing Disney's coast to coast and Goofy challenge. Intimidation was all around me and I really wasn't sure i could finish the race. When the 30 minute count down began, mickey came on stage, Drew Carey was introduced as he was running with us and the national anthem was sang. THEN Fireworks went in the air, the race was starting!

about 20-30 minutes after the race started my corral was called up to the start line, and we were off. I was scared all until I herd the announcer say GO "RUN for our SONS". IT WAS ON!

We ran through crowds of people, bands, cheerleaders, hula dancers, and families holding up signs that said "RUN MOMMY, I know it sucks but its for ME", I cried when i saw those simple things. We ran through California Adventure and Disneyland, and saw all the characters rooting for us. Then when we were running in the Angels Stadium I saw that we were at our half way marker. The buses were waiting for people who couldn't finish the race, I was still running and not even winded, just taking in the scenery.

My I-phone shut down at 11 miles as I was listening to Darius Weems song "Don't stop Believing". I herd Screams, people breathing hard, I thought to myself "Clear the mechanism" from that baseball movie, I cant remember the name. I was thinking about my son, The Bath boys and how they are trying to get a van, about a new friend I met on Facebook who's adopted son is 8 weeks old and has Duchenne. I thought to myself, if I have to keep running to END Duchenne, I will not stop. So much was on my mind that it made the race go quick.

I saw "Harbor"st., I knew this was IT, This was the street where you can see the monorail, where the old parking lot was before California Adventure was built, THIS is where I always felt my heart race as a child because I knew we WERE HERE! This time I felt more emotion then I have ever felt, MY tears rolled down my face like Niagara Falls! The sign said 12 Miles and I ran harder, I was almost there. An imagineer yelled and said "Don't stop, Don't forget WHY you are running, your almost there"! I came around the bend and I saw streamers, THOUSANDS of people, cameras, news anchors, Balloons and WATER! I ran through the finish line to a crowd that had completely stopped! WHAT? We run 13.1 miles to STOP?! Then it was line after line, get your metal, get a picture, get a bagel, banana, water, massage, stretch...I made it out and looked up and saw my Son, daughter and Grandmother. I looked at my grandma with tears and said "I did it", then I saw my husband and I felt relieved, my family was there just like I had dreamed. I held my son and cried. This was a great end to something I worked months on.

I saw all my fellow team mates as they kissed and hugged there family, this was exactly how I imagined it would feel, GREAT! I ran the race in 2hrs 38 min and plan to get a better time next race.

I cant wait for next year, more awareness, more research money, closer to a CURE.


2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow...is all I can say. Reading this left tears streaming down my face (joyful tears) picturing you running this with all the determination and strength you carry with you. You should be very proud...I know Nick is. I cannot imagine what you and Sal are going through but I learn more everytime I read your blog. Congrats on a job well done!!!

    ReplyDelete