Newborn

Newborn

Run for Our Son's Donation

Register for a Run For Our Sons marathon

Monday, July 11, 2011

Butterfly Garden

Most recently Nicholas learned about Butterflies at school. He brings his school projects home to share with his sister, and teaches her all he can. Nicholas really loved learning about the caterpillars and how they turn into Butterflies. We decided to get a Butterfly house, I was worried about keeping bugs captive. But I ordered them online anyways, hoping they would survive. I felt very guilty about ordering a creature and it being sent via mail.

The Caterpillars arrived safe and sound via the post office, and we ripped the box open! Nicholas and Bella gathered around the little container and they both said "OH, WOW", from that moment I knew i made a good choice to allow bugs in my home.  Everyday we check on them and see how fat they are getting, they are all now at the top of the cup hanging ready to turn into beautiful painted lady's.

I started looking online at how i was going to release these little guys and give them the opportunity to survive. So...We started a butterfly garden. We planted parsley, ecineacia, Butterfly bush, marigolds, chives and mellons. It came together very nice and I suprised myself with making a "kid/butterfly" garden. This has made me feel so proud that my kids helped me plant and water the plants daily. Not to mention they see that our plants have attracted tons of new butterflies! Nicholas is learning the names of them while Bella is picking the flowers with the catapillars on them.

When I was doing my "Butterfly homework" I came across a wonderfull meaning of the butterfly. It made me think of Duchenne, my kids, my family.

If a child whispers a wish to a butterfly it will take that wish to the great spirit and it WILL come true. Because wishes only come true if the one who is told only shares it with the great spirit, sice butterflies cant make noise, your secret is safe.



So we will all be making our wish when we set our Butterflies free in the Garden. Can you guess what my wish will be?

No comments:

Post a Comment