Newborn

Newborn

Run for Our Son's Donation

Register for a Run For Our Sons marathon

Friday, December 17, 2010

WHY?

Christmas time brings joy and happiness to most children. My children are playing, laughing, singing Christmas songs and anticipation is high for the day that they may open the gifts wrapped so neat under our bright, decorated tree. My husband and I are so excited as this year both our children "get " Christmas and they know all about SANTA.

Christmas also brings much sadness to many families who have lost a child to DMD, CANCER, or other circumstances. I am constantly reading that another young boy has lost his life to DUCHENNE. This time of year is very hard for our boys, due to colds that turn to pneumonia in as little as a few days. Duchenne attacks the lungs as well as the heart, and as we have learned our son has not been sparred this too.

Many people who read my face book, blogs, emails, sign on my car, or my sweatshirt, think I am going overboard with DUCHENNE awareness. They commonly ask WHY so much? WHY..well  my son can not advocate for himself, he can not take himself to the doctor, he can not speak about his disease. WHY is that so many boys have lost there lives and they can not speak, so I will speak for them, I will speak for the boys who WILL be diagnosed, I will speak for the parents who have yet to hear those words that all DMD parents hear..."your son has Duchenne muscular Dystrophy, there is no cure, and he MAY live to be 20, but there is no guarantee.

In the past month 3 boys, that I know of, have passed away leaving a huge hole in there families hearts and leaving a huge hole in our close community. Imagine one Christmas opening gifts with your child and the next....they are gone. I don't want to imagine that or even live that for my son...SO when you ask WHY?! Well I want my son to beat this, I want all these boys to beat this.

A wise man once said " You are only a failure, the day you stop trying"

This Christmas has really touched me in a way that I have never felt before. I don't take life for granted, I don't question WHY, I question HOW. HOW can we cure this disease.

No comments:

Post a Comment